Monday, March 26, 2012

Origins of my answers

The main topics of discussion for this blog will likely be human nature, God, and addictions.  Before starting in on one of those though I will discuss a few preliminary matters of importance.

First, while I am fairly educated and have read some on the above topics my answers and what I will be trying to share have coalesced during times of meditation or something like that.  My beneficial answers have almost never come from an analytic process.  This is important because having come to me at a visceral or intuitive level and then with all sorts of things in my life and the world around me making sense for the first time when viewed with the help of the new insight, I do not second guess them or actively try to refute them.  I do continue to explore them and I do something similar to meditation to both hone them and be open to new insight.  Actually in this meditation I am open to even radically different or opposing insights since the whole point of the meditation is to get in touch with and learn from my connection to the world around me, including the people around me, and the parts of myself beyond my thinking mind.  I believe the part of myself that connects to the people and world around me is what some call the soul, and spending time with this part of myself and listening to what it has to tell me is perhaps where most of my answers come from.

As a result of where my answers come from I share them as truth because they are the truth for me today. At the same time I realize they may not be for others or even that I might just be full of shit or crazy on some issues. I also fully expect and hope that most of them will change and evolve at least somewhat over time because they must if I am going to continue to grow spiritually and emotionally. What I am also saying here is that I am never trying to persuade anyone to adopt my views or beliefs. I am simply sharing a little of my journey in hopes that it might precipitate within others a spark to ignite that part of themselves where their own answers may lie.

The bonus is it is helpful to me to share it without regards to if it helps anyone I share it with.  This is at least partially because trying to articulate it brings me much more clarity, and in trying to share it I am again spending time with that part of myself that connects to the world around me, which is where my answers, strength, peace of mind, and sense of well being come from.

As a result of where I think my (and our) answers come from I regard mine as the truth for me today.  I realize that they are simply what I believe in this snapshot of time and may very well change a little or drastically.  However, because they are my truth today and it is annoying to keep saying I think and I believe I will often just state them as fact rather than include the I think or I believe.  Please know that I am sure that I will be wrong about some things and will try to readily admit it when I find that out.

Finally, I am not interested in arguing with anyone who disagrees with my beliefs.  I would be interested in hearing about other peoples' beliefs that are bearing desirable results for them, but I have no interest in hearing attacks of my own.  If mine are no longer working for me I will seek out new ones myself, possibly with your help.  If you have found answers that work well for you by all means live them and share them, but that can be done without attacking mine.  Normally when I find myself wanting to attack the beliefs of others I find that I am insecure about my own beliefs, normally because I have not really tried to live the beliefs I claim or they do not actually work very well.

Fortunately, I have the perfect test for my own beliefs.  If when consistently practiced they lead to greater peace of mind and sense of well being they are keepers.  This would seem to be a very selfish test and I guess to some extent it might be, but the reality is that I cannot have sustainable peace of mind or a sense of well being if I treat others poorly.  That is one of the best things about our world.  True happiness, peace of mind, and well being can only come from treating others well.  However, it takes a lot of hard work to clean myself up enough to believe that and to live it.

Now is not the time to go into details, but please do not assume I am talking about passiveness in personal or group relationships.  Often the best and loving or kind or beneficial thing to do for others and for a relationship is confrontational and/or demanding.  However, there is a lot of personal work that must be done before we are even decent at making those determinations well.